perjantai 5. elokuuta 2011

Strange

Watching Gonzo: The Life and Work of Hunter S. Thompson the other day reminded me why Ralph Steadman's an utter genius. Don't get me wrong, Thompson was nothing short of brilliant too, but let's stick to drawings and paintings and visions not conveyed through a typewriter.

So, after watching the movie I had to seek out Steadman's artwork once again and really indulge in his gloriously grotesque depictions of the ugly side of the American dream. I could use a poster or two to cover my walls.

Really, Steadman's probably the only artist along with maybe James Ensor who makes me want to give up drawing/painting/doodling/etching/anything related to leaving a mark on a surface. Not because they were so fucking great, they were, but because their work perfectly captures the mood, the feeling I wish to portray as vividly if I only could. Of course I don't mean the people, the time, and the places that inspired them, but the overall feeling of their work. The twisted, surreal, warped, paranoid, hilarious and frightening tone of their pictures. Their work says it all, for me at least. It would be pretty stupid to just ape them, and even more idiotic not to try. But I think I'll keep messing around with pens and brushes and see if I can come up with something that would make as much sense to me as their stuff does.

Oh, and my goal in life is to be so awesome most people give up trying.

Check out Steadman's site here

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti