keskiviikko 23. marraskuuta 2011

Elitist music snob assholes

I love being musically righteous.

Call me an elitist, but I think the whole "arguing about music tastes is pointless" -argument is bullshit. A persons taste in music CAN be cultivated and I believe some people just have better musical preferences than others. And it has nothing to do with MY personal affinities. I just find people who have a wide range of favourites and, usually, a taste for the obscure and unsung cooler than those who prefer to live on the stuff that mass media feeds them.

Oh yeah it's snobby and arrogant, but I don't really take people who say "I love music" seriously if they don't really delve into it. You dig a band, you check out their influences, you check out their influences influences. I think it's natural if you're really interested in widening your aural horizons.

Not that I'd ever want to shove my favorite music down people's throats, but I like the smug feeling you get when people hail Lady Gaga as an edgy, provocative artist and you just know how someone like Genesis P-Orridge, Wayne County or GG Allin would go over their heads faster than a peregrine falcon on cocaine. You just know you know something they don't.

Or: So you like psychedelic rock? "Yeah, 'Sgt. Peppers' is, like, one helluva trip." And you just want to snort loudly, gob on the ground and go "Tago Mago" and fuck off.

Reggae? "Hell yeah, I listen to, like, Bob Marley... and the band that made the theme of Cops is cool too." Fair enough. Personally, I hope you get hit by a sound system truck and skullfucked by Lee Perry himself.

So yes, I think some people actually have the right to say "I listen to better music than you". They're the ones who spent all their sunny summer days gormandizing esoteric music of no great importance instead of going out, socializing, living it up or actually doing something, and they have the right to declare their superiority, damnit!

1 kommentti: