torstai 28. kesäkuuta 2012

Gypsy guitar

Been a while since I last posted something here. Blame it on the summer. Well, I thought I might aswell just use this blog again for the sole purpose I created it: to share something I really get a kick out of.


Django Reinhardt is one of the great legends of French/gypsy/all of jazz, who played with Stéphane Grappelli in the Quintette du Hot Club de France back in the 30's and 40's (a bad time to be French, gypsy, or European, for that matter). I've loved his playing ever since I first bumped into this here clip, their performance of the song "J'attendrai". This is also one of the few existing videos of the great Django.

I know it's a bit of a cliche, but Django really makes his guitar sing. I always thought his guitar sounds like it's scatting. Like, this chirpy, soulful six-string diva really singin' her heart out.

There are a multitude of things in these two minutes that sound brilliant to my ears, but the simple lick he does at 1:11 has got to be one of the coolest things I've ever heard. Don't know why, but man, does it sound good. Does it fuck.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti