I roll my eyes with great pleasure and grandeur at all these big franchise movies with endless epic battles and epic speeches and epic explosions and epic evil and epic deaths and epic sorrow and epic revenge.
Of course, every form of dandyism is always rooted in (contemporary) cynicism, and cynicism is rooted in negativism.
Essentially, a dandy is a "hater".
I don't consider myself a dandy, but hater, yes, I accept that label with utmost glee (nothing to do with the TV show, dear). A hater of:
adults obsessing over young adult fiction. Vocal outrage aimed at the mishaps of reality tv stars. Hysterics over smoothies. Infantilism posing as self-empowerment. The exalted uncreativity of memes, tacky online intertextuality; the fucking internet, reduced to a few loud marketplaces, divided into spheres of influence by a handful of multinational corporations.
Art serving only gratification. Politics constricted to celebrity. Carefully steered mass rancor and sympathy.
This is a stunted generation if there ever was one.
The moment those LOTR movies were showered with Oscars was a turning point in the history of homo ludens. It was the sound of Gabriel's horn, a booming "Yes" to the constant, whining "Are we there yet?"
I remember watching that final movie in the movie theater, that one elf doing a boardslide on his shield while killing orcs with his bow and arrow, and the audience cheering. I thought it was neat, too. After all, I was 14. But lo, a lot of those people who cheered then are probably there this holiday season as well, thinking the characters and creatures appearing in the new Star Wars movie are there to drive the plot rather than sell toys.
Escapism is fine, I guess. It just seems the preferred place to flee this burdensome world is a kiddie pool instead of an ocean.
This aggressively projected world where the laws of Disney apply is a mental Trojan horse.
Of course, every form of dandyism is always rooted in (contemporary) cynicism, and cynicism is rooted in negativism.
Essentially, a dandy is a "hater".
I don't consider myself a dandy, but hater, yes, I accept that label with utmost glee (nothing to do with the TV show, dear). A hater of:
adults obsessing over young adult fiction. Vocal outrage aimed at the mishaps of reality tv stars. Hysterics over smoothies. Infantilism posing as self-empowerment. The exalted uncreativity of memes, tacky online intertextuality; the fucking internet, reduced to a few loud marketplaces, divided into spheres of influence by a handful of multinational corporations.
Art serving only gratification. Politics constricted to celebrity. Carefully steered mass rancor and sympathy.
This is a stunted generation if there ever was one.
The moment those LOTR movies were showered with Oscars was a turning point in the history of homo ludens. It was the sound of Gabriel's horn, a booming "Yes" to the constant, whining "Are we there yet?"
I remember watching that final movie in the movie theater, that one elf doing a boardslide on his shield while killing orcs with his bow and arrow, and the audience cheering. I thought it was neat, too. After all, I was 14. But lo, a lot of those people who cheered then are probably there this holiday season as well, thinking the characters and creatures appearing in the new Star Wars movie are there to drive the plot rather than sell toys.
Escapism is fine, I guess. It just seems the preferred place to flee this burdensome world is a kiddie pool instead of an ocean.
This aggressively projected world where the laws of Disney apply is a mental Trojan horse.
Ei kommentteja:
Lähetä kommentti