Andrew Sullivan wrote this in May. It's very, very insightful and eerily prophetic.
If you get past the title ("too democratic") and the Plato-tugging in the opening paragraph, that is.
After watching Trump's victory speech and feeling a kind of warm relief because of its level-headed tone, I remembered what Hunter S Thompson wrote about the Hells Angels in his 1966 book about them:
"Tyrants, like mob bosses, know the value of a smile: Precisely because of the fear he’s already generated, you desperately want to believe in his new warmth."
If you get past the title ("too democratic") and the Plato-tugging in the opening paragraph, that is.
After watching Trump's victory speech and feeling a kind of warm relief because of its level-headed tone, I remembered what Hunter S Thompson wrote about the Hells Angels in his 1966 book about them:
“The Hell’s Angels are so much aware of their mad-dog reputation that they take a perverse kind of pleasure in being friendly.”
Sullivan writes in his article:
"Tyrants, like mob bosses, know the value of a smile: Precisely because of the fear he’s already generated, you desperately want to believe in his new warmth."
There is nothing people can do atm but wait and see. However, I really like the tone of the message the ACLU sent to Trump right away.
The orange oligarch might be just another politician. But seeing that Trump is also just another milepost in this trajectory of far-right/authoritarian victories, I'd bet that the US is heading in the same direction countries like Poland and Hungary are currently going, and Philippines and Turkey, for that matter.
And IF Trump somehow ends up a lackluster disappointment to his hardcore fans, there's no shortage of more vile, more hateful, more fanatical, more authoritarian characters in the wake of his proudly ignorant campaign. This Pandora's box is wide open. I hope we all have a good time.
Ei kommentteja:
Lähetä kommentti