I've been following the protests of "los indignados" in Spain, Greece, France etc. quite a lot lately via Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and other social medias due to the lack of information passed on by international media, and I've got to say, I've never followed social media as much as I've done during the past few days.
The weird thing is, I don't even have a Facebook or a Twitter account. But just watching the constantly updating stream of communication has made it clear to me how much power the modern social media has. It's also very interesting, although not being fluent in Spanish or French kinda makes it a wee bit difficult.
Not only that, but indulging in the flood of information provided by the web communities has opened my eyes on just how much of the latest fads, memes, celebrity news and contemporary popular culture I've totally missed because of my slight social media seclusion ("avoided" would be a better word). Apparently people like Charlie Sheen, Justin Bieber etc. are the most followed people in Twitter, and those two are just the tip of an iceberg. This iceberg consists of modern pop culture phenomena like Jersey Shore, Lady Gaga, X Factor etc. that seems to pop up everywhere in the internet.
Almost every damn video in Youtube, escpecially the ones about music, seems to have at least a couple of comments like "Now THIS is real music, not shit like [insert Bieber, Gaga, or a random American Idol competitor]", or "Back in the day we had quality TV, not shit like Jersey Shore."
I mean, what the...? Is that rubbish really so predominant people have to constantly bring it up? Isn't that, you know, sort of making it even more widespread, and thus more prevalent in modern culture?
Maybe being a Facebook objector has spared me from a lot of bullshit, because at the moment I don't find plastic celebs, shit music and mindless gossiping a very big part of my life. I've heard the chorus of "Baby" once in my life, have no idea who Kim Kardashian is, and absolutely no need to ever find out what Jersey Shore is about.
And because of that, I also have no need to bring up these inane pieces of modern pop culture in every discussion I have, be it face-to-face or online.
Wait, what was this rant about again...?

Ei kommentteja:
Lähetä kommentti